Sprint 3 Retrospective

Issues Evidence

Issue:: HTTP Get Range of Questionnaire Submissions

This issue was added to this sprint to complement the client specification. The main idea was to create an endpoint to query the questionnaire data set and return values within a specific date range.

https://gitlab.com/LibreFoodPantry/client-solutions/nest/guest-information-system/api/-/issues/19

Issue:: API: determine input fields for Guest info and QS collection

This issue is vague and shows that we have much to improve on naming issues. I interpreted this as looking at the API calls and parameters to make sure they all meet client specification.

https://gitlab.com/LibreFoodPantry/client-solutions/nest/guest-information-system/api/-/issues/15

Issue:: testing API for getRange

This was done in multiple levels. At the backend with dummy values and a working clone of the app designed to emulate the android calls.

https://gitlab.com/LibreFoodPantry/client-solutions/nest/guest-information-system/api/-/issues/17

·  Reflection on what worked well

This sprint started well we had a better understanding of the agile workflow. Communication was key to many of the problems we had to tackle. We meet a few times online outside classroom to clarify definition on what needed to be worked on. We shared our work during these sessions and worked out the logic for a few methods. The attendance was important, and participation help us be successful this sprint. Not everything was as smooth as it could have been, but we did finish the sprint with working elements of this current sprint goals. One very important element that was added to this sprint was the mock app feature which allowed for integration testing. This helps because it shows the API will work not only in a web page or web app but also in an android environment without any unintended consequences. I can attest to integration problems because in my robotics project different components networking with each other would behave strangely in ways we didn’t expect or understand. So, checking communication was made successfully with no hick ups is a big plus.      

·  Reflection on what didn’t work well

We still struggle to give tasks meaningful names that everyone understood. At the end of the sprint finals and projects kept most of us busy. Not the entire group meet during the off-class meetings. We worried so much about having something to show that we perhaps missed out on the opportunity to write better documentation to assist future developers. The API version correction was not completely done because we lacked understanding of the CI environment and other school commitments kept most of us from dedicating a huge amount of time to it.   

·  Reflection on what changes could be made to improve as a team

We could have used more time outside the classroom. We did meet more often and had more meaningful interactions than the previous 2 sprints but there is still a lot of room for improvement there. Communication on what each of us were working on could improve. Sometimes we would not work on things because we thought they were being worked on or started working on things already done. Some of us merged the work to main which is fine, but it caused some conflicts trying to merge the branches back. Some issues were not taken or if taken not assigned causing confusion.

·  Reflection on what changes could be made to improve as an individual

I could have dedicated more of my time understanding the technologies and concepts. Although I gained a great amount of knowledge on JavaScript, I still don’t have the adequate know-how to be proficient in the language. Another thing that I could have done better to help would be to dig deeper in understanding the GitLab CI/CD environment and its automation. This lack of understanding prevented me from accomplishing some goals I wished I had completed this sprint. I wish I had taken less classes this semester and dedicated more of my time to this class. A few times I obsessed over parts of projects where I was stuck and wasted time without meaningful gain. This happened less often than other sprints because I did make note of this bad habit, but breaking the habit was more difficult than I thought. The few times I overcome this habit and broke away from the infinite loop of no success I was able to stumble into the solution later because my mind was uncluttered and clear. One of the goals I have for myself in the future is to never dwell or obsess a problem.  

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: